"Glory of Love"
...Oh...those were the days...
This is my favorite song of all time. I know it's a corny song by today's standards but it still plays on my heart. It reminds me of a boy who had so many dreams. The future so bright ahead. A boy who knew he could conquer the world. The road is still in its beginning. I couldn't wait to break free and fly high. Little did I know how life could be different than the dream. I wish I could go back to that boy again. Where is the time machine when you need one 😕 

Let me start from the start...
My earliest memories of music was when I was probably five or six. It was disco time. Boney M and Abba was all the rage. I can't remember specifics but I knew my parents listened to music. I think "Stayin' Alive" was one of my standout hits.

My first real connection with a song was in 1980. We were in the States. During that time, I got a huge dose of music. Music was everywhere. Music on the radio was awesome. I remember that whenever "The Tide Is High" came on the radio, we would stay in the car until it finished, even if we reached our destination. My sister did the same for "Up Side Down".

My dad bought a lot of tapes and vinyl. He also created many mix tapes. I remember how amazing it was when he would bring two tape recorders and use the mic to record from one to the other. Things have really changed since that. I was allowed to sit down beside him but I had to be very quiet 😶

When I returned from the States, it felt like I got cut off any music. We had all these songs from the States day, but I couldn't hear any new music.
Then one day, one of my friends at school brought a tape to school and it had "Eye of The Tiger", chipmunk style. I was floored. The guitar riff was out of this world. I had to get it. I wanted to hear it all the time. I got this tape about two years later 😬

Then came the Michael Jackson "Thriller" era. Wooooow...During that time, I felt like an outsider. I would hear people talking about songs I don't know anything about. I would only hear what my friends would bring. I never got enough music. I wanted more. Off course that didn't save me from break dancing and doing the moon walk in recess. We were either break dancing or doing push ups. Yes.. it was Rocky time also 😜

In 1985, I was on a trip, and I found this tape among my mix tapes. I don't know how it got there but it was an amazing mix tape. It was the first time I hear "I Can Wait Forever" by Air Supply, and "Big In Japan" by Alphaville. I remember spending nights just hearing these two songs over and over again.

At that time in Egypt, there was no MTV. The only place I could hear music was a program that came once on Sunday, and it played very old songs 😨 It had nothing to do with music of the era.

By late 1986, the Sunday program invited the most prominent radio DJ, and she brought with her the most awesome thing ever. She had a list of the top ten songs in the US and the UK. She recited them and the number one song in the US on that day was "Glory of Love". I had to hear it, I fell in love with it before I heard. It was the number one song in the US, it must be very special.

A month later, they announced they were gonna play the song on the Sunday program. I was on cloud nine. I had the VCR ready. I ate, drunk and went to the bathroom. I was ready.... And I heard it.
I never knew a song could ever be that good. Accompanied by the music video, filled with clips from the Karate Kid 2. It was everything I dreamed of. I was a shy, romantic boy in his early teens. The song played on all my strings. "I am a man who will fight for your honor. I'll be the hero you're dreaming of" 😱

On new year's eve, 1986-1987. I learned that they were gonna play all the big hits of the year on the radio. They started at 7 pm and finished at 3 am. I was there. I recorded all the songs.
That was it. I knew where to find music. By mid 1987, I could recite all the top 20 songs. I bought "Smash Hits" magazine regularly. Everyone I knew would come to me for songs. We even had our own charts, that we did every week 😁

I'm meeting with the new singer tomorrow, hopefully. He should be handing me his audition for "Chasing Unicorns". I really hope his voice and energy fits, this would save me money and headache. I will also start with him a new song as a producer. I really want him to succeed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog